If you’re in the market for a vaporizer, you’re likely aware of the dizzying array of options available these days. You’ve probably seen cartridges prefilled with cannabis oil, like those sold by Bloom Farms and Jetty Extracts, which require a separate battery to function.
You may have also seen a new type of vaporizer pen popping up in the last year or so: the disposable vape pen.
What’s the Difference Between a Prefilled Cartridge & a Disposable Vape Pen?
If you want to use a cartridge that’s been prefilled with cannabis oil, you also need to buy a battery. The battery provides power for the atomizer, or heating element, in the cartridge. This atomizer is what turns the cannabis oil into vapor form. To activate these atomizers, you either push a button or simply inhale.
Pros of cartridge pens:
- Batteries are reusable.
- Some cartridges can be refilled and reused, though most are disposable.
- Most cartridges follow the industry standard of 510 threading—this means you can use the same battery for different cartridges.
- There are more cannabis oil options than disposable vape pens available.
Cons of cartridge pens:
- Battery requires recharging after a certain amount of use.
- The battery and cartridge should be cleaned periodically.
Unlike cartridge pens, disposable vape pens are one unit: The oil, atomizer, battery and other components are all contained within the pen. To trigger the heating element, simply inhale.
Because these pens are easy to use and can be thrown away once the oil is gone, they’re popular among cannabis newbies, canna-tourists and those who aren’t ready to purchase more expensive vaping options.
Pros of disposable vape pens:
- Battery doesn’t require charging.
- No cleaning or other maintenance is necessary.
- They tend to be better priced than prefilled cartridges.
Cons of disposable vape pens:
- Battery isn’t reusable, and the entire pen must be thrown away; this creates more waste, though some disposable vape pen brands have recycling programs. So, customers can bring back used pens to the dispensary where they purchased it from.
Things to Keep in Mind When Shopping for a Disposable Vape Pen
- Look on the box or ask a cannabis consultant how many doses are in a single pen. Depending on the pen, you can get anywhere from 50 to 200 doses. Decide how often you’ll be using the pen, and how many doses you think are appropriate for your needs. If you’re shopping on a budget, divide the price by the number of doses to see which pens will give you the best deal.
- See if the company has a recycling program. If you’re interested in trying a disposable vape pen but are worried about creating waste, some companies allow consumers to return their used vape pen to the dispensary where they bought it from. Companies may even give you credit towards your next purchase to encourage consumers to participate in their recycling program.
- Ask about the cannabis oil in the pen. This includes extraction methods and whether there are any additives in the cannabis oil. Vaping can be a much healthier option than smoking is—that is, if you know how to vape marijuana safely.
Top 3 Disposable Vape Pen Brands
There’s a lot to choose from if you’re shopping around for a disposable vape pen. Here’s a short list of some reputable brands and suggestions on what to use their products for.
1. Dosist’s Modern, Vibrating Pens Are Great for Beginners
The cannabis world can sometimes intimidate the uninitiated. Amidst the comical strain names and various THC and cannabidiol (CBD) ratios, it’s easy to get confused. Luckily, dosist has made things easy: Its vape pens are engineered to make you feel a certain way, so there’s no need to memorize strain names or cannabinoid ratios.
Pick up bliss if you need a mood boost, calm if you need a reset or sleep to get some shut-eye. Plus, each pen vibrates after you’ve consumed 2.5 mg of cannabis oil, so you get an accurate dose each time you inhale.
2. DomPen’s Stylish & Inexpensive Vape Pens Are for Commitment Phobes
Whether you’re visiting from out of town or just not yet ready to fully commit to vaping, DomPen's vaporizers just may help you get over the hump. These stylish vape pens come in at a very easygoing price—and they taste great, too. DomPen’s oils are made via a cutting-edge distillation process, which guarantees a solvent-free product with a high-THC content. It also adds organic, fruit-derived terpenes to enhance the flavor of its pens.
3. Beboe’s Eye-Catching Pens Are Perfect for Dinner Gatherings
Skip the bottle of wine and bring a Beboe vaporizer with you to a dinner or potluck. Equal parts fashion accessory and vape pen, the metallic finish and modern bohemian design on this unit are an instant conversation starter.
Depending on the vibe of the gathering you’re headed to, Beboe’s sativa pen is great for social settings and sparking creativity. Meanwhile, its indica blend is great for kicking back with a couple of close friends.