Some days, you wake up with brain fog, and completing a single task feels utterly impossible. The inability to focus is something everyone has experienced at least once. Whether you’ve been diagnosed with an attention disorder or are simply in a stressful phase of life, focus can be one of the first things to go. Luckily, cannabidiol (CBD) is showing promising ability to promote focus.
To get an expert’s opinion, I spoke with Col. Philip Blair, M.D., a leading researcher on the endocannabinoid system (ECS). He also serves as the medical director of Elixinol, maker of high-quality, lab-tested CBD products.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Lack of Focus or Attention?
According to Col. Blair, looking for the cause of diminished focus isn’t the right question. He says, “Lack of attention or focus is not a condition,” but rather a symptom that something in the body is out of balance. And there are many things that could be causing inattention.
Things that can negatively affect the ability to focus include;
- Attention deficit disorders
- Lack of sleep
Attention deficit disorders, a symptom of which is inability to focus for an extended period of time, are incredibly common. A report from 2015 shows a 43% spike in attention deficit/hyperactive disorder diagnoses in school children since 2003. These disorders are very often treated with addictive prescription stimulants like Adderall.
But there’s hope for a holistic alternative: CBD.
How CBD Can Help Promote Focus
Col. Blair explains that the ECS is present throughout the body. As such, it’s involved in regulating everything from sleep to mood to metabolism.
But specifically in the brain, CBD works to “regulate mood, memory, cognitive focus and task orientation as well as reducing neuroinflammation and enhancing sleep.” Col. Blair goes on to sum it all up by saying, “CBD offers a whole person approach to restore life and ECS balance as opposed to single targeted conventional medicine.”
There are many different kinds of CBD. According to Col. Blair, all of them can be effective, but there are certain consumption methods that are more immediately bioavailable. That is, a CBD tincture or vaporizer will provide more instantaneous results.
Col. Blair says, “For my patients, it’s most important to find the serving size that creates desired outcomes and let the patient choose a preferred delivery method. Vaping delivers CBD to the anxious brain in 10 seconds. Sublinguals deliver CBD in three minutes, but swallowed capsules take one to two hours.”
CBD Products That Can Help Improve Focus
If you don’t know where to begin when it comes to taking CBD to improve focus, here are a few products to help get you started:
- Focus Vape Pen by Select: For fast-acting effects, a CBD vaporizer will be the best bet. This Focus vape pen by Select is fine-tuned to bring you clarity and lengthen your attention span. It’s made with 100% pure CBD oil that’s blended with peppermint essential oil, which combines to create an exhilarating yet focused experienced.
- Elixinol CBD Hemp Oil Drops: The Elixinol CBD Hemp tincture is a HelloMD staff pick for a reason. It’s one of the purest CBD oils on the market, extracted using clean CO2 and only natural ingredients.
Col. Blair noted that his clients often report improved focus when taking Elixinol CBD. Specifically, he’s received reports of patients feeling that their “fog has lifted” and they can follow a topic or complex ideas with greater clarity. And because this is a tincture, it’s absorbed sublingually—so that means quick effects for you.
- Wildflower CBD Capsules: These Wildflower CBD capsules are a fantastic option for someone who may be more comfortable with a set, consistent dose or for someone who doesn’t like the idea of inhaling their CBD. It’s an incredibly convenient way to consume CBD—simply add a Wildflower CBD capsule to your morning vitamin routine and you’re set for the day.
Just remember that capsules do have a longer onset period of up to one or two hours. If you need more immediate relief, Col. Blair says to bite the capsule in half and hold the liquid under your tongue like you would with a tincture; you’ll feel the effects much faster this way.
- Cured Spices from Cured Nutrition: We’d be remiss not to add Cured CBD-infused spices to this list. They’re one of the most creative and fun ways to add CBD to your daily routine. Each jar comes with 100 mg CBD (15 mg per serving). For the savory options, you can make a great marinade for meat or veggies, or a delicious piece of cinnamon toast for breakfast.
Photo credit: Paul Skorupskas
Want to try CBD, but don’t know where to start? Shop our selection of high-quality, lab-tested CBD products and have them shipped to your door. And if you have questions about CBD, ask them and our community will answer.