Do you need to be a California resident to get a medical marijuana card?

You can get your cannabis recommendation from HelloMD – so long as you are physically located in CA at the time of your consultation. You can use your out of state ID, or your passport as ID.

Not every dispensary will serve you without a CA ID, however there are others that will, and some that will accept some other form of ID like a lease or utility bill from CA. You could also try a delivery service, since they are usually more flexible about out of state ID’s.


Yes, if you qualify once you have had your interview with one of our physicians but technically you should not transport cannabis outside of California.


Contrary to popular belief, you do not need to be a CA resident, nor do you need to have a CA ID. As long as you are physically in CA at the time of your video consultation, CA law permits you to use HelloMD’s doctor service. Although CA law does not require you to be a CA resident to obtain a medical marijuana recommendation or purchase from a dispensary, you’ll find that many dispensaries/delivery services have their own requirements about who they choose to admit to their collective. You’ll need to check directly with them to see if they only admit CA residents.


The HelloMD recommendation is currently only available to people located in CA at the time of the medical consultation. Note that you don’t have to be a resident of CA, you just need to be in CA when the doctors consultation happens.

There are other states that will accept the HelloMD recommendation (like Nevada) because they have specific reciprocity laws that allow for this. However, I don’ think this is the case for Connecticut, but you should do your own research on this.

We do plan to provide service to all states where medical marijuana laws are in effect, but it will take us a little time to roll this out state by state, as each is different. In the meantime, we encourage you to use the Answers Service to connect with our group of doctors, and get your medical questions answered if you have any.

If you do visit CA and would like to get a recommendation while you are here, we can certainly help you with that, but it will likely not be acceptable in Connecticut (again, do you own research on this).

I hope that helps.


There are 25 states which have passed measures to allow the medical use of marijuana. Unfortunately, Kansas is not one of them at this time.

Both the senate and the house introduced a bill which would enable the compassionate use of marijuana. These bills were passed on to the Committee on Health and Human Services on January 12, 2015, but died when they failed to advance by the crossover deadline on February 26, 2016.

Both bills have been carried over for reconsideration sometime in 2016.


No you do not.

However, you do need to be located in CA at the time of the consultation. Also, many dispensaries will ask you to show some form of CA residence, whereas delivery services may be more flexible.

There is nothing in CA law that requires you to be a resident, but many follow this rule anyway.


You can receive a evaluation, and if appropriate, a California recommendation without being a resident of California. For HelloMD we require some government issued ID to be shown when visiting our customer service personnel.
However, some dispensaries require a California ID to sell you cannabis showing you are a California resident. All of our partner companies will accept the HelloMD recommendation and you will not have this issue if you use them.

Perry Solomon, MD

Yes, there is nothing in law that requires you to be a CA resident or to have a CA ID to obtain a CA medical cannabis recommendation. However, you must be physically in CA at the time of your consultation in order to qualify. Note, that dispensaries set their own rules about who they choose to admit to their collective, and some may not admit you without proof of CA residency.


Currently, we only provide cannabis evaluations and recommendations to California patients.
You can find information regarding other regional cannabis rules and references at Norml.org


You must be a resident of the state that you are trying to get a medical marijuana card from. A state issued ID is required.


What you'll find in this article
    Add a header to begin generating the table of contents
    Scroll to Top