"I’ve heard about Constance Finley and I want to know if cannabis oil is widely used for auto immune disorders and whether it really works.
Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear that you are suffering from an autoimmune disease. I can certainly relate because I founded Constance Therapeutics as a result of my own rare and severe autoimmune disease. After nearly dying from the medication prescribed to me to help alleviate the extremely debilitating pain and inflammation caused by Ankylosing Spondylitis, I turned to medicinal cannabis for relief. Cannabis gave me my life back and I was astonished by the dramatic improvement I felt. I quickly became fascinated with the science behind the medicinal benefits of cannabis and immersed myself in all the information and research available. I eventually found myself growing my own cannabis and ultimately making my own cannabis oil.
Before I delve into why cannabis oil is so great for autoimmune patients, I am compelled to explain some of the science behind the cannabis plant. The cannabis plant is made up of compounds known as cannabinoids, as well as flavonoids and terpenes. There are over 100 cannabinoids within cannabis. The most well-known are Cannabidiol (CBD) and Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Lately, it has become popular to isolate CBD since it has been proven to possess medicinal benefits; however, scientific researchers and modern herbalists have discovered that the medicinal benefits of the cannabis plant are greater when all naturally occurring cannabinoids, flavonoids and terpenes are working together. There is a synergy that takes place among these compounds that boosts efficacy. Essentially the sum is greater than the parts. Another way to think about this is that science has shown us that eating real fruits, vegetables and other plants provides better nutrition than just taking vitamin pills with one nutrient or mineral in each. Science is showing us that we can say the same about cannabis.
In many ways, I think cannabis oil has more to offer autoimmune patients than anyone else. Historically, an autoimmune diagnosis meant a long life filled with agonizing pain, the slow deterioration of virtually any ability to truly participate in life, and potentially an early death due to the horrific inflammatory process. Not anymore. Cannabis is truly a miracle for autoimmune patients. A few benefits include:
- Cannabis has a cumulative effect and its efficacy increases with time versus the declining results you often experience with traditional pharmaceutical medications.
- Both CBD and THC provide powerful anti-inflammatory therapeutic benefits, but from different pathways.
- Both CBD and THC provide neuroprotective benefits and CBD relieves anxiety.
- Cannabis is a natural antidepressant and can also help boost serotonin to help with sleep at night, which is something many autoimmune patients struggle with – or at least I did.
- Cannabis can give you energy during the day to help combat the exhaustion that results from living with constant inflammation.
- Cannabis can alleviate depression, which many autoimmune patients suffer from as a result of loss of function and/or prolonged isolation.
Selecting a cannabis oil that is right for you is extremely personal. Cannabis oils come in a variety of strains with different terpenes, which can also be especially helpful for autoimmune conditions, and several ratios of CBD to THC. It is best to for patients to work with their physician to determine which strain and which ratio is recommended for their unique condition and situation. That being said, it is safe to say that the majority of autoimmune patients will need an oil with both CBD and THC for optimal relief.
If you have more questions or would like more information, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.