The aftermath following Easter usually involves some leftover chocolate and more than a few brightly colored hard-boiled eggs. If you’ve got a fridge full of Easter eggs, but don’t know what to do with them, use your leftovers to make deviled eggs. Better yet, you can medicate your deviled eggs with cannabis. The marijuana is easy to incorporate following a simple cannabis-infused mayonnaise recipe. You may just find it refreshing to medicate with a cannabis edible that’s savory, well balanced and healthy to boot.
Why choose a whole food cannabis edible? For starters, you guarantee that some whole nutrients go down the hatch along with your medicine. Making sure something solid is in your stomach is timeless advice that absolutely applies to consuming marijuana.
Second, by making your own cannabis edibles at home instead of pre-made ones, you have complete control over potency and quality—and even more so if you make your own cannabis-infused oil.
RELATED: HOW TO MAKE MARIJUANA INFUSED COOKING OIL
This particular recipe is brimming with healthful ingredients:
- Eggs have 7 gm of protein each, providing an extremely affordable source of dietary protein.
- Apple cider vinegar has been shown to help control blood sugar, lower cholesterol and help with acid reflux.
- Capers are full of antioxidants, calcium and iron.
- Lemons are a great source of vitamin C, vitamin B6 and vitamin E.
Homemade mayonnaise packs twice the flavor as a store-bought version. A great versatile ingredient, cannabis-infused mayo gives you the options to microdose in a multitude of savory dishes. Keep a clearly labeled jar of marijuana-infused mayo in the fridge so you can medicate anytime you want.
Ingredients for Cannabis-Infused Mayonnaise
- 1 large egg yolk (for best results, at room temperature)
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup cannabis-infused oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
How to Make Cannabis-Infused Mayonnaise
- In a food processor, pulse yolk, mustard and salt together until well combined.
- With the machine on, slowly pour olive oil through the opening on top, until mixture begins to thicken. Pause to scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Using same method, slowly add cannabis-infused oil.
- Add apple cider vinegar and lemon juice, pulsing after each addition. The oils should be fully incorporated, and the mayo should have a light, whipped consistency.
- Add white pepper and additional salt to taste.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
Ingredients for Cannabis-Infused Deviled Eggs
- 6 hardboiled eggs
- 3 tbsp cannabis-infused mayo
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- pinch of sea salt (to taste)
How to Make Cannabis-Infused Deviled Eggs
- Peel all six eggs and slice in half lengthwise.
- Carefully scoop yolks into a mixing bowl, setting the halves on a serving plate.
- Add cannabis-infused mayonnaise, Dijon mustard and apple cider vinegar to yolks. Smash with the back of a spoon until you’ve made a smooth paste. Add sweet pickle relish and sea salt to taste; mix well.
- If you’re feeling fancy, scoop the yolk mixture into a Ziploc baggie. Snip the corner off the baggie and pipe yolk mixture into each egg half. Though this doesn’t require any expert culinary skill or special tools, it can be tedious and a little messy. For your best chance at success, use a sturdy Ziploc (not a “snack bag”) and work slowly.
- For deviled eggs that are just as delicious and less fussy, skip piping and carefully spoon about two teaspoons of yolk mixture into each egg white half.
- Top each deviled egg with a few capers and sprinkle lightly with paprika.
Photo credit: Jeffreyw
If you’re new to cannabis and want to learn more, take a look at our Cannabis 101 post. HelloMD can help you get your medical marijuana recommendation; it’s easy, private and 100% online.