The past couple of years have been a holiday downer – nothing kills a festive mood like shelter-in-place and rolling lockdowns. But, as we wind down 2021, and the world slowly reopens, friends and family are gathering again to celebrate the holidays with renewed spirit. We’re excited by the prospect, so we’ve whipped up this cannabis-infused sugar cookie recipe to kickstart the holiday season and fill your home with the scent of freshly baked cookies.
Of course, you can buy sugar cookies at the store, but if you’re so inclined, you can follow this easy recipe to make these cannabis cookies at home. Learning how to make sugar cookies from scratch is a great pastime and can enhance the tasting experience. If you want to make the cookies more healthy and wholesome, you can easily modify the recipe ingredients.
One way to modify the recipe is to use marijuana-infused butter, or
instead of regular butter. Baking with cannabutter is one of the easiest
ways to reap the medicinal benefits of marijuana. People with chronic
pain often prefer eating medical marijuana as it tends to produce stronger,
longer-lasting effects. This means that they don’t have to consume
marijuana as often.
Without further ado, here’s a simple recipe incorporating marijuana
into sugar cookies. (If time is short, use ready-made frosting. It’s
just as delicious as homemade frosting and makes decorating cookies
Ingredients for Cannabis-Infused Sugar Cookies
Makes 24 cookies
- 2 1/2 cups of flour, plus extra for rolling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cannabutter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
Ingredients for Cannabis-Infused Sugar Cookie Frosting
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup of shortening
- 2 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1–2 tsp cannabutter
- A few drops of food coloring
How to Make Cannabis-Infused Sugar Cookies
- To make the cookies, beat the eggs, sugar, cannabutter and vanilla
extract in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the cannabutter mixture little by little,
stirring slowly and continuously until all of the ingredients are
incorporated and the mixture becomes a smooth dough.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Covering the dough with plastic wrap helps prevent the dough from
drying out and forming a skin.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and preheat the oven to 375
- Tip the dough out of the bowl onto a floured surface and roll until
It’s approximately 1/3-inch thick.
- Cut dough into shapes with cookie cutters.
- Place cookies 1-inch apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 10–12 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
- Remove the cannabis cookies from the oven and transfer them to a wire rack to
cool completely before frosting.
- To frost, combine the sugar and shortening in a large bowl
- Mix in the milk and vanilla extract until the desired consistency
is reached. Consider adding 1–2 teaspoons of cannabutter to thicken
runny frosting and increase the potency of the cookies.
- Add a few drops of food coloring, if desired.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the cookies using a butter knife
Tip: For less potent cannabis cookies, substitute any portion of the cannabutter
with regular butter in this recipe.
Cannabis-infused sugar cookies are quick and easy to make. They make the
perfect accompaniment to a cup of coffee, tea or hot chocolate. If not eating
immediately, store the marijuana cookies in an airtight container, layered between
parchment paper, and either refrigerate or freeze.
Photo credit: Mischelle