While there are healthier ways to consume cannabis than infused sugary desserts, sometimes you just have a craving. I don’t know about you, but when I’m feeling nostalgic for my childhood days, I think about those foods from my past that I haven’t had for a while. This recipe is for when you feel like enjoying an adult version of a childhood classic: Girl Scout Thin Mints. Except now, we’re old enough to infuse these cookies with some top-shelf cannabis.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, chopped
- 1 cup white, granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp mint extract
- 1 1/2 oz of a marijuana-infused milk or dark chocolate bar
- 1 1/2 oz non-infused semisweet chocolate, chopped
If you don’t have access to a pre-made marijuana-infused chocolate bar, you can whip up a batch of cannabutter to use in the recipe instead. Or, you can simply add a cannabis tincture of your choice to non-medicated melted chocolate. This scrumptious recipe will make 18 cookies, so if you’re using your own cannabis, be aware of how much you add to the recipe so that each cookie is the right dose for you.
RELATED: DIY RECIPE: CANNABUTTER, OR CANNABIS BUTTER
How to Make Cookies:
- In a large mixing bowl, beat 1/2 cup of softened butter until creamy.
- Add 1 cup of sugar.
- Continue to beat the butter and sugar mixture until completely combined.
- Add the egg and mint extract, and stir until creamed.
- Using a sifter, sift the flour, cocoa powder and salt into a separate mixing bowl.
- Slowly add the sifted dry goods to the creamed mixture until completely smooth. It may get difficult to beat as you add more flour, but that’s the right consistency for dough.
- Divide the dough in half, and on a lightly floured surface, roll each half of the dough into 1 1/2 inch-thick snakes.
- Wrap each of these dough snakes in wax paper, let them sit in the fridge for 4 1/2 hours and then finish them off in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and remove the dough from the freezer.
- Remove the wax paper and use a very sharp knife to slice the snakes into 1/4-inch pieces. You should be able to slice these without the dough giving in.
- Place the pieces about 1 1/2 inches apart on a cookie sheet and bake for 10–12 minutes. Let the cookies cool completely before glazing.
- For the medicated chocolate glaze, melt the cannabis-infused chocolate, regular butter and the non-infused semisweet chopped chocolate in a double boiler.
- When the chocolate is melted, place a cookie in the center of the bowl and use a spoon to completely cover the cookie with melted chocolate.
- Scoop the covered cookie up with a fork and place it on a large sheet of wax paper. Repeat this process for all cookies and then let them harden completely before removing them from the wax paper.
Now you’re ready to enjoy this adult version of a childhood classic.
Photo credit: Katie
If you’re new to cannabis and want to learn more, take a look at our Cannabis 101 post. HelloMD can help you get your medical marijuana recommendation; it’s easy, private and 100% online.