From the flowers blooming to the birds singing, there are so many signs that spring is here. What I also love about spring is walks through the farmers market and seeing all of the fresh produce that’s available.
This is the time of year when I like to prepare meals that are light and delicious. One of my favorite savory recipes—which seems fancy, but is actually easy to put together—is a breakfast dish called shakshuka.
Shakshuka, which has Middle Eastern/African roots, simply consists of:
- Tomato sauce
- Poached eggs
Poaching your eggs happens to be a great way to cook them since the nutrients stay intact, because you’re not overcooking them or frying them in oil.
Shakshuka is delicious and very flexible in that you can adjust the flavors to your liking by adding other spices such as:
- Cayenne pepper
Incorporating your favorite cannabidiol (CBD) tincture to this recipe can also help increase the nutritional profile of this meal. Depending on your needs, a high-quality CBD oil can help improve:
- Sleep issues
- Chronic pain
What Makes Shakshuka a Nutritious Dish
Besides CBD, nutritional highlights of this particular recipe include:
- Shallots: Similar to onions but milder, shallots contain antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Garlic: These fragrant bulbs can help stimulate metabolism and improve digestion.
- Tomatoes: Technically a fruit and not a vegetable, tomatoes are an excellent source of vitamins A, B and C.
Ingredients for CBD-Infused Shakshuka
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1–2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed, fire-roasted tomatoes
- 3 mL CBD tincture of your choice
- 5 eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp Swiss gruyere cheese, shaved
How to Make CBD-Infused Shakshuka
- Put a sauté pan on medium heat and add the olive oil.
- Add the shallots and cook for 2–3 minutes, then add minced garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Pour entire can of tomatoes into the pan, then add your CBD tincture, salt and pepper. Using a spatula or large spoon, stir a few times and bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Crack the eggs in the sauce in any arrangement you like, but leave some space in between each egg.
- Cover the pan and cook the eggs for 5–7 minutes or to your desired doneness.
- Garnish with chopped basil and shaved cheese.
Photo credit: Tito Dudley aka Chef T
Want to try CBD, but don’t know where to start? Shop our selection of high-quality, lab-tested CBD products and have them shipped to your door. And if you have questions about CBD, ask them and our community will answer.