Second only to the infamous pot brownie, marijuana fire crackers are one of the most well-known cannabis-infused treats. Made of crispy crackers, yummy spread and a little something extra, they're a go-to for many an edible enthusiast, and it's no secret why. In addition to being tasty, they're versatile. Firecrackers can be either sweet or savory, depending on what's desired. For the latter, classic peanut butter and salty snack crackers pair well. For something a little sweeter, try hazelnut spread on graham crackers. Or mix the two for a new take on an old classic! Whether firecrackers are an old favorite or a new discovery, this easy recipe is a great guide to making a special treat.
- 8 graham crackers or snack crackers (such as Ritz or saltines)
- 8 tablespoons natural peanut butter or hazelnut spread (such as Nutella)
- 0.5 grams marijuana
- Before getting started, preheat the oven to 320 degrees Fahrenheit. This will give it a chance to warm up while you prepare the firecrackers.
- First things first: prepare the marijuana. It must be cut into very fine pieces, and there are a couple of ways to do this. A marijuana grinder is the easiest method. Simply break the bud apart by hand and then grind the weed into a very fine, almost powdery consistency. Otherwise, placing the bud into a shot glass or cup and cutting it with regular scissors works almost as well. Once it's ground up or chopped finely, it's time to prepare the firecrackers.
- Stir the marijuana into the peanut butter or hazelnut spread so the bits of weed are coated with it on all sides. If the spread is difficult to stir, microwaving it for about 10 seconds before adding the marijuana will help soften it.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of the mixture onto each cracker. (A note on choosing peanut butter: organic peanut butter with lots of oil works best. This is because THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, is oil-soluble. It needs a fair amount of oil to dissolve at the rate necessary for effective edibles, so look for peanut butter that has oil at the top of the jar rather than heavily processed peanut butter like Skippy or Jif. Once the oil layer is stirred in, it will be perfect for use in this recipe. Additionally, smooth peanut butter tends to work better for this recipe as the chunks can't absorb the cannabis oil very well.)
- Place one coated cracker on top of another so the peanut butter or spread is in the middle, forming sandwiches. Repeat to produce four cracker sandwiches.
- Arrange the cracker sandwiches on a cookie sheet with space in between each and cover the entire sheet with aluminum foil to prevent burning.
- Place the cookie sheet in the preheated oven and bake for about 20 minutes, checking halfway through. Ovens may cook at different rates, so keep an eye on it to ensure the crackers don't burn.
Lastly, it can be tempting to use more marijuana to make the firecrackers stronger. However, doing so will alter the oil-to-cannabis ratio, meaning that all of the THC may not be dissolved. In layman's terms, this will only waste weed. So for a stronger effect, simply make more firecrackers. That way, the weed will have enough oil to effectively dissolve the THC. Enjoy the firecrackers!