I'm obsessed with skin care, and I’m a big fan of facial oils for cleansing and moisturizing. Besides adding a lovely texture to your face, they typically smell good and hydrate differently from typical facial creams. I put facial oil on to wipe my makeup off, before I put on my facial cream at night before I go to bed. I practically bathe in it. What makes me ga-ga about my particular facial oil is the addition of cannabis sativa, or hemp oil.
Hemp Oil Heals Skin
Before becoming involved in the cannabis industry, I made a discovery. That discovery was that hemp oil is magical; it honestly saved my family vacation. I was enjoying a long-anticipated getaway in Hawaii with my three young kids, and two of my children got badly sunburned. It was late at night, and out of desperation, I put my hemp-based facial oil on their faces and necks, where they’d been burned.
The next morning, I was very surprised and amazed to see that the burns were gone—completely gone. At this point, I looked up cannabis sativa and found that hemp oil is often used to treat sunburns, apparently very successfully.
In addition to treating burns, hemp oil is also considered to be an anti-inflammatory. It’s said to treat:
- stretch marks
- dried, cracked skin
- facial wrinkles
Hemp oil is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. And it contains vitamin E and carotene antioxidants, which assist in repairing damaged skin and promoting cell growth.
Did I say I’m addicted to my facial oil and that I bring it everywhere? Yep, addicted.
DIY Recipe for Hemp Facial Oil
You can spend a lot of money buying name brand facial oils, but most don’t contain cannabis sativa oil. As hemp seems to be all the rage these days, you’re about to see an explosion on the market of skin care with hemp. You can track down some of these newer brands, or you can make your own, which may prove to be more economical as well as customizable.
I tend to stay with my tried-and-true recipe, but it’s also possible to use different essential oils and different carrier oils. The carrier oil is the base oil to which you add the hemp seed oil and any other essential oils.
My recipe is relatively simple; it’s got only four ingredients. Hemp seed oil is non-psychoactive and can be bought without a medical marijuana recommendation. It may also be purchased online.
As with any facial product, test this out on a patch of skin before slathering over your entire body. I’d also suggest going organic when possible.
Pamela’s Amazing Hemp-Based Facial Oil
Ingredients for Hemp-Based Facial Oil:
- 4 oz bottle
- 1 small funnel
- Base oils: jojoba and hemp seed (also called cannabis sativa oil or hemp oil)
- Essential oils: lavender, geranium and rose hip
How to Make My Hemp-Based Facial Oil:
- Start with a clean bottle. I use bottles specific for carrying cosmetics. You’ll fill the bottle up to three-quarters full. Half of that amount should be jojoba oil and the other half hemp seed oil.
- The next part is more art than science and is dependent on how much aroma you’d like. I tend to put around 15 drops of lavender, geranium and rose hip oil into the mix and then top it off with more hemp seed oil. That’s it, it's that simple.
RELATED: DIY RECIPE: MARIJUANA BATH BOMB
Variations for Your Own Facial Oil:
Here’s a list of ingredients you can play with when making this easy facial oil.
- Argan, which is good for all skin types
- Jojoba, great as an anti-aging component
- Grapeseed, which is good for oily or acne-prone skin
- Avocado—best for dry and older skin
- Hemp seed, which is great for all skin types and is naturally healing
- Lavender, which is calming and healing
- Rose, great for aging skin
- Geranium, good for acne-prone skin and skin that’s prone to inflammation
- Rose hip, which carries good anti-aging properties