In the world of hemp-derived cannabidiol (CBD), topicals and tinctures are king (or queen). These methods of consuming CBD are great, but let’s not forget about edibles—especially CBD gummies.
CBD gummies are an easy way to take your medicine, and you can make them at home. When you opt to make your own CBD gummies, you get to choose the amount of CBD each gummy contains—this way you can cater each dose to meet your individual needs.
Making CBD gummies allows you to portion your CBD ahead of time, so you can just pop a CBD gummy into your mouth whenever—and wherever you are. CBD gummies are perfect for those of us looking for a quick and tasty way to consume CBD. Plus, CBD gummies are easy to share with friends.
If you’ve never made gummies before, never fear; we’ve got your back. Whipping up your own CBD gummies can sound intimidating, but the process is simple if you use a CBD tincture.
These days, CBD tinctures come in a variety of flavors, so when choosing one, make sure that it complements the flavors of your other ingredients. Alternatively, many companies also make unflavored CBD tinctures that you can add to your CBD gummies without affecting their taste.
If you want CBD gummies in fun shapes and sizes, you can invest in some silicone molds. These come in a variety of forms, including the classic gummy bear. But you can also use a simple cake or loaf pan and cut your CBD gummies into bite-sized squares.
Store-bought gummies are typically full of sugars, dyes and artificial flavors. But when you make your own CBD gummies at home, you can make them healthier by adding vitamins, probiotics and other supplements.
Ingredients for CBD Gummies
- 1 1/2 cups juice or liquid of your choice
- 4 tbsp grass-fed gelatin
- 2–4 tbsp honey or other sweetener of your choice
- hemp CBD tincture (amount you use is up to you)
This recipe makes approximately 50 gummy bear-sized gummies. To figure out how much of your hemp CBD tincture to use, think about how much CBD you want in each gummy. For example, if you want 2 mg of CBD per gummy, you would use 100 mg of CBD for your recipe.
How to Make CBD Gummies
- Pour liquid into a small- or medium-sized saucepan.
- Sprinkle the gelatin on top, and let it sit for a few minutes, until it has been absorbed into the liquid. Once this has happened, mix well.
- Place the saucepan on medium heat, and allow the grainy liquid to warm—but don’t let it boil. Keep the liquid on the heat until all of the gelatin dissolves and the mixture becomes runny.
- Add your sweetener, and stir well.
- Add the CBD tincture, and stir well. If you’re using molds, you can opt to add your CBD to each individual mold. This will give each CBD gummy a more accurate dose.
- Pour liquid into your pan or molds. You can pour the liquid into a measuring cup or use a dropper to make filling your molds easier.
- Refrigerate for 2–3 hours, until liquid has set.
- Remove gummies from molds or cut them into squares if using a pan.
- Keep your CBD gummies in an airtight container, and consume them within two weeks.
Healthy Tips for Your CBD Gummy Recipe
This CBD gummy recipe calls for you to use liquid and gelatin. And while you can use any version of these two ingredients, here are a few healthy options to consider.
For a liquid, green juice or another kind of fruit and vegetable juice can add a nutritious boost. If you’d like to add probiotics to your gummies, you can use kombucha as a liquid base for your CBD gummies. Also consider adding any other supplements that dissolve well in water, like spirulina.
As for the various types of gelatin, not all are created equal. Grass-fed gelatin tends to be more nutrient dense than other types of gelatins on the market. Additionally, grass-fed gelatin is filled with the same nutrients, minerals and protein that make bone broth beneficial.
Photo credit: Anton stock/Shutterstock.com
Want to try CBD, but don’t know where to start? Shop our selection of high-quality, lab-tested CBD products and have them shipped to your door. And if you have questions about CBD, ask them and our community will answer.