Summer is the season when we tend to focus on skin care. But once we’re bundled up for the winter, we often forget that our biggest organ still needs some tender loving care.
Our lips are especially vulnerable to seasonal changes. And extremes in temperature, combined with decreased hydration, can lead to cracked lips and an increased dependence on petroleum-based lip products.
For cannabis consumers, natural relief is only a few minutes away. This lip balm recipe calls for cannabidiol (CBD) oil. Though any CBD oil or hemp-derived CBD oil would work wonderfully for this recipe, you may want to start out with an oil that doesn’t have any added essential oils. This way, you can customize the recipe to suit your taste buds.
What we know about CBD oil is that it’s wonderful for all skin types. Because it has anti-inflammatory properties, you can use this lip balm liberally on red, itchy lips or feel free to dab some balm on cracked, inflamed or irritated skin.
CBD’s antioxidant properties make recipes like this a lifesaver for people suffering from dry, scaly skin. And because you’re using non-psychoactive CBD oil, you can give this as a gift to your noncannabis-consuming friends and family members without worry.
This recipe takes about 30 minutes to prepare, and the ingredients are widely available at health food stores and online. It yields approximately 16 8-mL lipstick tubes or about 8 1/2-oz lip balm jars. That’s enough for you and your family, with a few stocking stuffers to spare.
Ingredients for CBD Lip Balm
- 2 tbsp shea butter
- 2 tbsp beeswax pellets (cosmetic grade preferable)
- 2 tbsp firm coconut oil
- 2 tbsp CBD oil of your choice
- Optional ingredients: essential oils such as lavender, lemon or peppermint; vanilla extract or other flavoring
How to Make CBD Lip Balm
- You can either use a double boiler or microwave to melt the ingredients.
- If using a double boiler, fill a sauce pan with about an inch of water and heat until boiling. Lower to a simmer and place a Pyrex bowl on top of the saucepan. Add all ingredients to the bowl and heat until melted. Remove bowl from saucepan.
- If using a microwave, combine all ingredients in a bowl and heat for 30 seconds to 1 1/2 minutes until melted.
- When your ingredients are completely liquid, add essential oils if using. Always use a small amount of essential oils or flavoring oils to start—2–6 drops should be enough, but feel free to add more according to your taste.
- Using a funnel, pour the liquid balm into lipstick tubes or pomade jars. The balm will begin to solidify within a few minutes. If you need more time, feel free to reheat the oil back to a liquid state.
- Cover your containers and let the balm solidify at room temperature. Once solid, the balm should be stored at room temperature.
Main photo credit: Sergey Chetvertnykh