Erin Willis has been blogging about the health benefits of cannabis for several years. She founded Mother Indica, an online resource for cannabis nutrition, education, inspiration, recipes and more. Erin believes that cannabis can be part of a holistic wellness regimen where healing foods and plant medicine come together, allowing people to improve their well-being.
As part of HelloMD’s first live event, Cannabis as a Superfood, Erin is sharing two of her go-to recipes that are simple to make yet feature complex flavor combinations: a garlic-citrus vinaigrette with a farmers market salad and a nourishing green smoothie.
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Why Healthy Fats Are Important in Cannabis Edibles
Both recipes include healthy fats, which Erin believes are an important addition to any nourishing, holistic eating regimen. “Fats are incredibly good for you, yet so underrepresented because of the low-fat craze of the ‘90s. At that time, people thought that high-fat foods would result in fat bellies. But I celebrate good-tasting fats and feeling good,” she says.
Erin also reminds us the important role fats play in cannabis edibles. “Cannabinoids are fat-soluble, so they cross the blood-brain barrier better when paired with fats.” This means that cannabinoids like cannabidiol (CBD) dissolve in fat and then become more bioavailable, or easier for the body to use. Edibles that contain cannabinoids should always include some fat so that you can absorb more of the plant’s compounds that are responsible for its many health benefits.
RELATED: WHY YOU NEED TO EAT FAT WITH YOUR CANNABIS
Cured Nutrition Provides Innovative, Lab-Tested CBD Products
Both recipes also include hemp-derived CBD products from Cured Nutrition. Cured produces a variety of innovative CBD products from dog treats to a CBD-infused cookie dough snack. All of their offerings are made with Colorado-grown hemp that’s tested three times to ensure purity.
Erin decided to include Cured Nutrition products in her recipes because they offer a range of inventive ways to ingest CBD that are easy to work into your favorite foods. And she knows that consuming regular doses of CBD helps to keep inflammation at bay and the endocannabinoid system balanced.
Ingredients for CBD-Infused Cured Roasted Garlic and Citrus Vinaigrette With Farmers Market Salad
For the dressing:
- 2 tsp Cured spices—roasted garlic and lemon (the dressing will have 30mg CBD in total)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp honey (optional)
For the salad:
- 1 bag of herb or spring mix lettuce
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- Orange segments (however many you’d like to add)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
How to Make CBD-Infused Cured Roasted Garlic and Citrus Vinaigrette
- Pour all of the vinaigrette ingredients—except for the olive oil—into a high-speed blender. Blend for 3 seconds.
- Pour in the olive oil and blend again for another 3 seconds.
- Assemble the salad.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad or place in a small container and serve alongside the salad immediately. This dressing can be stored in your refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Ingredients for CBD-Infused West Coast CannaBliss Smoothie
- 2 avocados, pitted and peeled
- 2 oranges, juiced (you can substitute store-bought juice)
- 4 strawberries
- 2 handfuls spinach
- A few mint leaves, torn
- 1 tbsp spirulina, fresh or frozen works fine
- 1 tbsp Cured Nutrition full spectrum raw hemp oil
- 8–12 oz coconut water
How to Make CBD-Infused West Coast CannaBliss Smoothie
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender; blend until you reach your desired consistency.
- If the smoothie comes out too thick for your liking, add more coconut water or regular filtered water to thin it out.
Photo credit: Fortyforks/Shutterstock.com
If you’re new to cannabis and want to learn more, take a look at our Cannabis 101 index of articles. HelloMD can help you get your medical marijuana recommendation; it’s easy, private and 100% online.