There are plenty of reasons to give your dog hemp-derived cannabidiol (CBD). CBD can help your dog by:
- Easing anxiety
- Alleviating pain
- Quelling gastrointestinal distress
- Reducing seizures
Given all of these benefits, it’s no surprise that there are a ton of CBD dogs treats on the market—all with various ingredients and different doses.
But have you ever thought about making your own CBD-infused dog treats? It may sound silly—even a little frivolous—but doing so is actually simple, easy and most importantly, practical.
When you make your own CBD-infused dog treats, you get to control the amount of CBD that goes into each batch. This allows you to cater your CBD dog treats specifically to your pup’s needs. And as an added bonus, you get to:
- Pick your pet’s favorite flavors
- Avoid ingredients that don’t sit well with their bellies
- Maybe even save a few bucks
Having CBD dogs treats on hand is also convenient. You can take them with you on outings with your K9 and administer them as the situation calls.
This recipe for CBD dog treats contains only five ingredients, including a hemp CBD tincture. You can use a tincture that’s marketed specifically for dogs, which come in 100 mg, 250 mg and 500 mg concentrations.
Whatever you decide to use in your CBD-infused dog treats, make sure to double check that the tincture has been lab-tested for potency as well as the presence of pesticides and heavy metals. You’ll also want to ensure that the tincture doesn’t have any added essential oils, which could potentially be harmful to your pup.
Lastly, feel free to use any type of flour you’d like in your CBD-infused dog treats. Wheat or other grains don’t sit well with some dogs. If this is the case, opt for alternative flours like rice, almond or coconut flour.
Ingredients for Peanut Butter & Pumpkin CBD Dog Treats
- 3 cups flour of your choice
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- hemp CBD tincture (amount you use is up to you)
Here are a few things to consider:
- The number of CBD-infused dog treats that this recipe makes depends on how you decide to divide up the dough.
- Think about how much CBD you want in each dog treat.
Use these two factors to determine how much of your hemp CBD tincture to use. For example, if you think you can make 36 CBD dog treats, and you want each treat to contain 2 mg of CBD, use about 72 mg of CBD for your recipe.
How to Make Peanut Butter & Pumpkin CBD Dog Treats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet or line one with parchment paper.
- Using a whisk or electric mixer, beat pumpkin puree, peanut butter, eggs and hemp CBD oil until well combined. It’s important that you mix these ingredients well, as you want the CBD oil to be well dispersed.
- Gradually add in 2 1/2 cups of flour, mixing until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- If dough is still sticky, slowly add in more flour in 1/4 cup increments until the dough loses its stickiness.
- Using a lightly floured surface, knead the dough until it comes together.
- Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough—we recommend getting it to about a 1/4 inch thickness. Use cookie cutters or a shot class to cut out shapes and place onto your prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Let treats cool completely before serving. These CBD dog treat will keep at room temperature for a few days, but you can store them in the fridge to extend their shelf life.
Photo credit: Pavel Hlystov/Shutterstock.com
If you have questions about CBD, ask them and our community will answer.